There could be various reasons for a person's name change. It could be divorce, marriage, numerology, or whatever! However, there are certain legal procedures associated with it and Actolegal is the number one legal advisory company to help you through the process!
Name Change Procedure in India
Following your decision on a new name, you need take the following actions to formally change your name:
Affidavit for Name Change
The first step is to prepare an affidavit for name change, which will be taken care of by our expert lawyers. The affidavit must have details of your old name, new name, the reason for the name change (marriage, legal, numerological, divorce, correction in existing name, etc.). The affidavit for name change has to be signed by two witnesses and gazetted officer rank along with their stamp.
Newspaper advertisement is a part of the process. The advertisement goes out in one national or regional newspaper, whichever is suitable. We will place the ad for your name change in the newspaper with all the necessary information.
It’s recommended to retain the copies of the published newspaper for future reference.
After an initial name change application is submitted, your name will be published in the official national gazette. We will track the publication daily. Once the publication is done, a soft copy of the gazette with the details of the e-publication page will be sent.
Eligibility for Name Change Application
Now, who is eligible to change their names or apply for a name change? Let us see the eligibility for name change application:
- An Indian
- They ought to possess a legitimate government ID.
- He or she must have a good reason for the name change.
- Minors should be accompanied by their parents when visiting a government office.
Who May Apply for a Name Change:
- Either husbands
- a relative
- At any point in their lives, anyone can change their name.
Legal Compliance with Name Change Procedure in India
What is the importance of complying with all the legal formalities in a Name Change procedure in India? Let us see the reasons as mentioned below:
Anything that is done legally has a definite value. It is crucial to remember that any change in a person's identification should be done lawfully because technology has been incorporated into so many aspects of our daily lives, especially for identity proof. Our names are listed on a number of documents, including PAN, Aadhaar, bank accounts, transcripts of records, birth certificates, etc., which are used to verify our identities. Therefore, it is crucial that your identification be legally validated and changed by the party or officer chosen by the Center/State before making changes to these documents with relation to the name change. People with criminal records can misuse the names of others to save themselves from arrest.So, it is very important to record your name in a document to increase transparency and accountability.
Documents Required for Name Change
- An affidavit on a stamp paper
- The original newspaper with the name change advertisement
- The prescribed proforma in printed format, duly signed by the applicant and two witnesses
- Two passport size photographs
- Photocopies of valid ID proof ( PAN card, Aadhaar card, or passport)
- A CD with a soft copy of the application in .docx format duly filled
- A letter stating that the content in the hard and soft copy of the application is true
- A request letter along with the registration fee to the authority.