What Is a Provisional Patent?
A provisional patent is an application informing the corresponding authorities regarding the innovation and its ownership. It protects innovation and the applicant. This is filed for a short term with the patent office. According to the experts, it is a good idea to file provisional patents online to get an early filing or priority date.
The requisite patent filing date can be swiftly obtained with the use of provisional patent applications. Filing a provisional patent application online is a demanding process. The real patent application has to be filed with the patent office within 12 months from the date of filing a provisional patent application. Subsequently, the applicant will be protected by the patent despite another opposition party submitting an identical patent application post innovation.
Reasons for Filing Provisional Patent Application Online?
Filing a provisional patent application online can come handy when an invention is certain but will likely require additional improvements that can be completed within a year. In this scenario it is a great opportunity to file a provisional patent application. It is essential to finish the innovation within a year so that the original invention detailed in the online provisional patent application can be used before it expires and so that the non-provisional patent can be submitted with enhancements. It basically provides time and protection for the applicant.
Things to Keep in Mind When You File Provisional Patent Online
Before filing a provisional patent make sure to get through all the requirements. Applicants should take the following factors into account.
- An invention's limitations are set down in a formal, legal document known as a patent. The filing of the entire patent specification results in no new parts being added between the patent specifications.
- Filing a Provisional patent application online will nullify the effect of the latest innovation made after the date of the initial filing. The latest innovation will not be taken into consideration or will not be held legit. It will not have any form of advantages or legal support.
- In this case, the pattern will be completely abandoned if the original patent is not submitted within the time frame. As per the rules and regulations, the original patent has to be submitted within a year of filing a provisional patent
- The patent will be abandoned if the entire specification is not submitted within the given time frame. Within a year of filing a Provisional Application online, a comprehensive description of the complete invention should be submitted.
- Confidentiality will be maintained even after filing a provisional patent application, however, important disclosures must be made during the provisional specification stage because incomplete applications would negatively impact the applicant's chances of moving forward in subsequent stages.
- To properly comprehend the innovation and its advantages, a foundational set of claims must be written.
Documentation Needed for Online Provisional Patent Application
Filing a provisional patent application online requires the following documents:
- Forms 1–5
- If you submit the patent through an online agent filing service is required then provide Form 26
- For comparable declarations and projects relating to foreign patent applications, file Form 3
- Application materials for conventions when the priority date is asserted
- Images of the invention
Apply for a Provisional Patent
Step 1: Complete the Invention Disclosure Statement
Actolegal follows a proper three-step procedure for filing a Provisional Patent application online. The complete process to file a provisional patent online is discussed in detail below.
Filing a provisional patent application online is necessary to protect your invention. You must make sure that your application for a provisional patent is submitted by the appropriate date. This will stop someone from stealing your concept. As per our experts, it is mandatory to file a provisional patent application even if your invention is not completed or you are not yet prepared for a full non provisional patent.
The invention can thereafter be referred to as ‘patent pending. An idea is protected by filing a provisional patent application online while the inventor works to develop and enhance it. To finish the procedure, use these steps!
- Describe how you answered the following IDF questions.
- The issues you're trying to explain
- Existing issues and solutions for the same
- Specifics of your invention's technical specifications
- The functionality of the technical features
Step 2: Combining your inventions
This phase may take two to three iterations based on the situation.
- Provide details about any alternatives to the indicated remedy
- We seek new technical features on an IDF form
- To educate the impression for originality examination and explanation rehearsal.
Step 3: Find Something Novel
It aids in the discovery of novel, distinctive technological traits. At Actolegal we inquire for globally available editions to see whether any published articles with similar or comparable technical details prevail.
Step 4: Writing the Provisional Patent Requirements
We move to create the innovation that particularly addresses it after the invention's originality is confirmed.
Step 5: Documenting the Forms
Every form that is required for filing a provisional patent application online will be collected and submitted along with the patent specification. This is selected in light of the scenario,
Step 6: File Provisional Patent Online
When everything is prepared, we apply and make the required payments. The Patent Office will make the online provisional patent application number public. Get in touch with Actolegal if you want to apply for a provisional patent quickly.
Provisional Patent Requirement
Follow these steps to learn about what's required to apply for a provisional patent
- A description of the invention in writing
- Any necessary invention drawings or images
- The complete identities of each inventor
- filing fee
- A declaration or digital file
- The application asks for a temporary patent
- Name of the founder
- Location of the author
- Name of the invention
- Registration evidence for an attorney or dealer including similar address and docket number, if applicable.
Information Present in Provisional Patent India
- The name of the new idea, concept, or technique
- Provisional patent requirements and regulations (Note: A section on claims is not required in a provisional specification.)
- What is the type of innovation? (Note: The definition of innovation should not be confined and limited)
- The invention's priority and purposes.
Document Required to File Provisional Patent Online
Different forms and documentation must be submitted with a temporary patent application. When filing a provisional patent, the following forms must be submitted.
- Form 1: A patent request should be made using this form. It must be signed and submitted before six months of filing a provisional patent. The applicant must fill out this form completely before signing it, including all pertinent information and the names of the inventor, and the type of innovation.
- Form 2: These forms' specifications are provisional. The words ‘provisional patent’ must be written alongside the applicant's name and job title. This format must also be used to describe the innovation.
- Form 3: Submit comparable international patent applications
- Form 5: This form contains the statement of inventor ship
- Form-26: A power of attorney for the patent agent has to be provided. Within six months of the application's filing, it must be submitted.
- Form-28: The innovation's design, drawing, or sketch must be supplied with the same details (not required in the case of a process).
Advantages of Filing a Provisional Patent Application Online
The online provisional patent application provides multiple advantages when compared to the manual process. As the application for provisional patent process serves the first commers, it's best to initiate the process online. One can reap the following advantages by opting for filing a Provisional Patent application online.
- Cost-effective:The Act includes a provision for provisional patents to guarantee that the investor or innovator has time to gather the cash required to petition for a full patent or hire a patent agent. Compared to filing for a full patent, a provisional patent is substantially less expensive.
- Twelve-month protection: When a provisional patent application is submitted and accepted, twelve-month protection is granted starting on the date of the initial filing. This guarantees that they have time to complete whatever is necessary before acquiring a full patent or can continue to develop their innovation.
- Dates of the patent application: The filing date is important when attempting to obtain a patent. The previous application with an older filing date is provided a greater priority over the latest applicant.
After filing a provisional patent, investors and inventors may use the tag ‘Patent Pending’ to assess the commercial potential of their unique design or approach. If a holder of a provisional patent in India decides not to pursue a full patent any longer, they may do so without worrying about the accompanying costs.
Provisional Patent Application Filing Fee
The official patent application filing fee is ₹1,600 for an individual, ₹4,000 for a small entity, and ₹8,000 for a large entity. The cost of an attorney to draft a provisional patent application can be between ₹20,000 and ₹35,000. If you intend to market your concept, procedure, method, or invention, you should probably apply for protection. The need for protection and the markets you will work in will determine security. So a patent is what we need to protect our innovation.
Why Apply for a Provisional Patent in India through Actolegal
Our team of experts have experience of handling all the legal specialists and the paperwork for more than 1000 firms and LLPs each month. So you can get all your queries resolved in just a single call. Feel convenient and comfortable boarding with Actolegal.
Our team will handle all the documentation, and ensure a seamless relationship with the authorities. We furnish clarity respecting the incorporation procedure to help people in having acceptable intentions. The greatest legal assistance is available in India for filing a provisional patent. Contact us right now to apply for a provisional patent at the comfort of your house.